Cel light p0340... Help! - TrueStreetCars.com
Forgot?
Create Account >> Home Forums Pictures Vendors Garage Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12/22/10, 06:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
evo8 (OP)

Buy/Sell Feedback: 3
HP: 10000/633790 [?]
Cel light p0340... Help!

Code is on my 2002 Hyundai elantra. Code reads camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction bank 1. Sensor has been replaced as well as ECM. Timing on the motor is TDC. I've researched Internet for days and every website says the same thing. I've done circuit tests on sensor as well as, to and from ECM to make sure ECM is getting signal. What's my next thing I should look at or do? I have pictures of timing for cams and where sensor sits with camshaft position notch.

Any ideas????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Evolution VIII
evo8 is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12/22/10, 07:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Psssh. Mustang

Buy/Sell Feedback: 0
HP: 6346/286406 [?]
Garage
Xbox LIVE: 108th
"Bank 1"
Did you replace the right sensor? (Guessing it would be the front one)
and just to understand clearly, you bought a new sensor and switched out the ecm?
1997 Red Ek Civic Hatch - Daily w/Variable Intake Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control
Check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CobraSSx is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page
Old 12/22/10, 07:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
evo8 (OP)

Sorry. I had it explained a lot better but my damn computer refreshed the page and cleared my detailed explanation and was to lazy to retype it.

I replaced bank 1 sensor. There is only one camshaft position sensor on car. I had also replaced the ECM because that code if no problems were found with sensor or circuit then ECM is bad. I replaced ECM also due to have a bad ECM which was throughing a p1602 code.

2005 Evolution VIII

Old 12/22/10, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Psssh. Mustang

HP: 6346/286406 [?]
Garage
Xbox LIVE: 108th
If none of those things you did worked then it might be something with the mechanical portion of it, such as the clearance the sensor has. Check also that the wires to the plug aren't loose inside the fitting and are sitting okay in there (check the inside of the plug as well). Normally there shouldn't be any clearance issues unless if something really fucked up bad inside. Is your camshaft sensor a sensor with a plate that bolts onto the covers/head?

Also what was the p1602 labeled as?
a P"1"xxx is a dealer code and is car specific so searching the web doesn't always give answers.
1997 Red Ek Civic Hatch - Daily w/Variable Intake Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control
Check out my
CobraSSx is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page
Old 12/22/10, 07:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
IT'S SO FLUFFY!!!

HP: 10000/773453 [?]
Garage
Did the timing chain jump or anything? How many miles on the car? I've heard Kia and hyundai had those problems with their older cars!

10 Cobalt SS TC Bolt ons/E85 ZFR Soon!!
04 Acura TSX family getter er
SLRdohc is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page
Old 12/22/10, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
evo8 (OP)

Originally Posted by CobraSSx View Post
If none of those things you did worked then it might be something with the mechanical portion of it, such as the clearance the sensor has. Check also that the wires to the plug aren't loose inside the fitting and are sitting okay in there (check the inside of the plug as well). Normally there shouldn't be any clearance issues unless if something really fucked up bad inside. Is your camshaft sensor a sensor with a plate that bolts onto the covers/head?

Also what was the p1602 labeled as?
a P"1"xxx is a dealer code and is car specific so searching the web doesn't always give answers.
Plug is good cause that's how I did the circuit test. I checked clearance between sensor and cam notch and there is barely clearance between the two.
Sensor bolts onto head.
A p1xxx code usually is a dealer code. But when ingot the code read it came back as a tcm/ECM. So I replaced ECM and that code went away.

2005 Evolution VIII
Old 12/22/10, 07:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
evo8 (OP)

Originally Posted by SLRdohc View Post
Did the timing chain jump or anything? How many miles on the car? I've heard Kia and hyundai had those problems with their older cars!
I checked timing on cams and the only thing that's not alighned is the cam chain with marks on the gears. But the cam gear notches are at 2:30 o clock according to Internet and All Data. Car has 130k miles on it.

2005 Evolution VIII
Old 12/22/10, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
IT'S SO FLUFFY!!!

Garage
Originally Posted by evo8 View Post
I checked timing on cams and the only thing that's not alighned is the cam chain with marks on the gears. But the cam gear notches are at 2:30 o clock according to Internet and All Data. Car has 130k miles on it.
If the marks on the gears don't meet up with the cams,, hhmm it might have jumped a little!

Old 12/23/10, 06:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
evo8 (OP)

Here are some pictures.

Is there any way it could be a crankshaft sensor?
I check the resistance coming from crankshaft sensor last night and the resistance is between what the manuel said.

2005 Evolution VIII
Old 12/23/10, 08:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
IT'S SO FLUFFY!!!

Garage
The 2 cam photo, is it at TDC? Does it start at all? rough idle? Those lines should line up if you gave it a few more turns. At TDC those lines should be lined up!

Old 12/23/10, 10:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
evo8 (OP)

Originally Posted by SLRdohc View Post
The 2 cam photo, is it at TDC? Does it start at all? rough idle? Those lines should line up if you gave it a few more turns. At TDC those lines should be lined up!
Yes. crank is TDC along with cam gear. And which lines are you talking about?

2005 Evolution VIII
Old 02/19/17, 01:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

HP: 0/5000 [?]
Did you ever get this issue solved? I have a 2002 elantra that also throw p0340 every once in a while. It also has a rough idle. I have done a lot of the steps that you have, including taking those same pictures of the camshaft chain alignment. I also have opened up one of my other elantras and compared the camshaft chain alignment and I don't see any difference.
Geoland1st is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page
Old 02/24/17, 06:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Broncos FTW

HP: 5285/249409 [?]
Originally Posted by Geoland1st View Post
Did you ever get this issue solved? I have a 2002 elantra that also throw p0340 every once in a while. It also has a rough idle. I have done a lot of the steps that you have, including taking those same pictures of the camshaft chain alignment. I also have opened up one of my other elantras and compared the camshaft chain alignment and I don't see any difference.
Thread is 7 years old......and nobody posts here any more. I just happened to log on today for the first time in like 3 months.......good luck
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TrueStreetCars.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Username:
Password
Enter a password for your account. Passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Re-enter Password:
Email Address
Enter your email address.
Email Address:
Spam Account Filter
Enter only the capital letters from these words: LET it EaT aT tX2K12
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. | Questions | Contact Us | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy