V8 exhaust tone difference? - TrueStreetCars.com
Forgot?
Create Account >> Home Forums Pictures Vendors Garage Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05/01/16, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mykk (OP)

Buy/Sell Feedback: 0
HP: 1471/65999 [?]
V8 exhaust tone difference?

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a little input on my upcoming exhaust set up. I personally love the deep boomy all low end sound of a dumped exhaust before the differential. But this time, on this car (1995 BMW 540i) I decided to run a full length exhaust system with a tip out of the cut out in the rear bumper.

This V8 has a very Mustang sound to it. Maybe a bit more euro.... a euro mustang mod motor sound.

I've decided on a single 3" system for this car using a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator and a Flowmaster Super 40.

The headers Are 2 cylinders per down pipe. Then it's a 4-2 after the collectors. Then a typical y-pipe into a single 3"

What I haven't decided on, and would like a bit of feedback on is the muffler placement.

Should I :

A) Resonator mid mount, Flowmaster at the end with exhaust tip mounted directly to the FM

B) Flowmaster mid mount, Resonator at the end with the tip

C) Resonator before Flowmaster both mid mount with tail pipe

D) Flowmaster only, mid mount with tailpipe

E) Flowmaster only, rear/end mount.

The goal is to have an aggressive loud, boomy, deep sounding exhaust with minimal rasp.

Something to compare it to: This is the previous dual 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow glasspacks going into a dual in/dual out Flowmaster super 10 dumped before the differential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mem9F4RPufk

Appreciate your feedback. Cheers.
Mykk is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05/01/16, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear

HP: 10000/1624659 [?]
Garage
Option A. The further forward the resonator is the less rasp you're going to have, and also less drone inside the cabin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Civic-SOLD
1990 Mustang GT-SOLD
2001 Camaro SS-SOLD
2002 Subaru WRX-SOLD
2004 Pontiac GTO
1991 Mustang GT
cwsly is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page
Old 05/07/16, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mykk (OP)

HP: 1471/65999 [?]
Really glad to report that the FM S40 will fit in the rear bumper area of my project, I was concerned it was too large of a case to fit back there. But alas:

The exhaust tip will get trimmed down to tuck in a bit more, but I will need it to stick out a bit as this car spits fire out of the exhaust at throttle tip-in after deceleration.

Mykk is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TrueStreetCars.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Username:
Password
Enter a password for your account. Passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Re-enter Password:
Email Address
Enter your email address.
Email Address:
Spam Account Filter
Enter only the capital letters from these words: LET it EaT aT tX2K12
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. | Questions | Contact Us | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy