0-60, shifting, throttle engagement help! - TrueStreetCars.com
Forgot?
Create Account >> Home Forums Pictures Vendors Garage Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10/18/15, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
JMASTERJ (OP)

Buy/Sell Feedback: 0
HP: 141/5000 [?]
0-60, shifting, throttle engagement help!

Hey guys, hope you're all well...

So last week I was at a stop light, and there was a luxury Lexus next to me, driven by an older gentleman and his wife. Usually I don't drag because most cars don't come close to being competition (you'll find this statement ironic later) so it is few and far in between, especially in the area I live in. Anyways, I had to start hard to cut over to the other lane to make a turn about 1/4 mile down, so I started a "conservative hard" start... then I noticed the Lexus busting out himself, so I said, might as well go go go... well I had some sloppy throttle control, and bad shifting, and in just over 1/8 he was a couple car lengths ahead and I was feeling well, like a shmuck really.

Now I have no doubt that car had more HP than me and he probably just put the petal to the metal in his automatic just for childhood thrills, good from him. However, this made me think, what exactly AM I doing with this, am I even using my ZHP to its full potential? So late that night I went to an desolate strip of road and did a little 0-60 test. The result was absolutely appalling, if not embarrassing and an utter

Just over 9 sec. Yes that is 9 and in nine, before 10. Now the specs say ~5.6, but I think definitely under 6 sec. I did it 3 times, every time, over 9s. Anyways this got me thinking, GET HELP.

This is what I know:

I pop the clutch around 4k RPM so I get a slight free spin for like a couple milliseconds, I think thats proper?
I did NOT floor the gas but came very close the first couple times... then the third time I did, no change in time. Each pressure was fast but gradual, never just slamming the gas to the metal, I think that's proper?
I tried twice getting into 3rd and once staying in 2nd... I discovered you HAVE to get into 3rd... lose way too much power at the end of 2nd by about the 40-50mph mark
Steering was pretty much dead straight, no wiggly lines there
Shifting was not the best and I did not double clutch or anything else, but 3+ seconds worth of 2 shifting mistakes? Each shift was around 5700-5800 RPM I think

I am no drag expert, so I MUST be missing something vital here. The funny thing is, even the 9 sec doesn't really feel SLOW, but then again maybe I am just used to it and don't know any better.

Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10/18/15, 08:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
twerk team talent scout

Buy/Sell Feedback: 1
HP: 10000/782151 [?]
Garage
Not sure if srs...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New Build: 402ci, twin 76s, Merica
Almost_There_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page
Old 10/19/15, 10:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Envious lurker...

HP: 5350/257198 [?]
I'm not familiar with you car, so I can't vouch for its potential, but here are some things to consider:

Your car is getting some years on it and has a lot of miles. Could be losing power from old/worn parts.

Counting in your head may not be the most reliable way to determine how quickly your car is reaching speed.

Manufacturer claims tend to be a bit inflated, and magazine figures are usually unreliable as they run the cars many times with professional drivers and only publish the best time they can pull. 9/10 an average Joe will not be able to hit the numbers they see published in mags/online.

If you're here in Albuquerque, your ride is being crippled by the air density here. We're a mile above sea level, so most naturally-aspirated cars can see up to a 30-40% loss in power depending on the time of year/temperature/weather. If you want a good pull with your car, wait until the middle of winter...but then good luck getting your tires to bite the cold ground :P

a sweet set of curb feelers would set it off
CursedOne is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page

Old 10/20/15, 07:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
JMASTERJ (OP)

HP: 141/5000 [?]
Originally Posted by CursedOne View Post
I'm not familiar with you car, so I can't vouch for its potential, but here are some things to consider:

Your car is getting some years on it and has a lot of miles. Could be losing power from old/worn parts.

Counting in your head may not be the most reliable way to determine how quickly your car is reaching speed.

Manufacturer claims tend to be a bit inflated, and magazine figures are usually unreliable as they run the cars many times with professional drivers and only publish the best time they can pull. 9/10 an average Joe will not be able to hit the numbers they see published in mags/online.

If you're here in Albuquerque, your ride is being crippled by the air density here. We're a mile above sea level, so most naturally-aspirated cars can see up to a 30-40% loss in power depending on the time of year/temperature/weather. If you want a good pull with your car, wait until the middle of winter...but then good luck getting your tires to bite the cold ground :P
What parts of the car get worn for power after years, how can I check/replace/fix them? The ones I can I mean... not looking to put in thousands of dollars, but if its something easy.....

LOL who is counting in their head?

Yes I understand the "ideal" 0-60 times, but cmon, 5.6 and 9.2, I don't think that's relevant right? I wouldn't be complaining about a 6.0.

Ok the conditions are understandable, I was doing that here in South FL at about 80F with about 75% humidity, sea level, dry clean asphalt, so I dont think I should be losing more than a few % from that... I think its much more of my technique and just maybe as I just found out, I may have left the traction control on.

Thanks for your input, some good stuff there, will take all that into consideration.
Old 10/21/15, 10:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
5th Gear

HP: 10000/1624659 [?]
Garage
Cars and parts wear. At 140k you've probably got a little less compression than factory, possibly clogged cats, maybe old spark plugs, little stuff like that can add up. Another big thing on ZHP's are Vanos issues. If Vanos isn't working properly you're leaving a TON of power on the table.

You also say you're shifting early, that isn't so great either. When you're popping the clutch at 4K you're putting too much shock on the tires, let it ride out gradually (without burning it up too much) and keep wheelspin to a minimum.

The other thing, if it's got aftermarket wheels a lot of times they're heavier than stock by quite a bit. On cars that make power, not that big of a deal. On lower power cars it'll make a bigger difference than you think. Look into unsprung rotational mass and how it affects performance.

2000 Civic-SOLD
1990 Mustang GT-SOLD
2001 Camaro SS-SOLD
2002 Subaru WRX-SOLD
2004 Pontiac GTO
1991 Mustang GT
cwsly is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page
Old 10/21/15, 10:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Bavarian Murder Weapon

Buy/Sell Feedback: 1
HP: 10000/1318558 [?]
Garage
Originally Posted by cwsly View Post
Cars and parts wear. At 140k you've probably got a little less compression than factory, possibly clogged cats, maybe old spark plugs, little stuff like that can add up. Another big thing on ZHP's are Vanos issues. If Vanos isn't working properly you're leaving a TON of power on the table.

You also say you're shifting early, that isn't so great either. When you're popping the clutch at 4K you're putting too much shock on the tires, let it ride out gradually (without burning it up too much) and keep wheelspin to a minimum.

The other thing, if it's got aftermarket wheels a lot of times they're heavier than stock by quite a bit. On cars that make power, not that big of a deal. On lower power cars it'll make a bigger difference than you think. Look into unsprung rotational mass and how it affects performance.
Its not just ZHP's that have VANOS. ALL M54 engines have Dual VANOS. ZHP is a package.

"The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does an oil change. It's a pity the ECU is so damn temperamental."
zinister is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page
Old 10/22/15, 11:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear

HP: 10000/1624659 [?]
Garage
Correct. I had bad Vanos seals on my E39 as well, but I was referring more to the extra problems that the ZHP's had. It's been a few months since I was looking for one so I don't remember the exact problems, but they seemed to have quite a few more issues than most other M54's.

2000 Civic-SOLD
1990 Mustang GT-SOLD
2001 Camaro SS-SOLD
2002 Subaru WRX-SOLD
2004 Pontiac GTO
1991 Mustang GT
cwsly is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TrueStreetCars.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Username:
Password
Enter a password for your account. Passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Re-enter Password:
Email Address
Enter your email address.
Email Address:
Spam Account Filter
Enter only the capital letters from these words: LET it EaT aT tX2K12
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. | Questions | Contact Us | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy