Cant pass emissions...HELP - TrueStreetCars.com
Forgot?
Create Account >> Home Forums Pictures Vendors Garage Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10/21/11, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
ByPopularDemand

Cant pass emissions...HELP

So HC limit is 180 and the guy tested it twice
first test: high speed rpm 2397 HC reading was 157. Low speed rpm 645 HC reading 241

Test 2. High speed rpm 2574. HC reading 173. Low speed rpm 657. HC reading 303

What the fuck gives here? It passed back in february, but fails after I fixed all the problems. No codes, no smoke or bad smell out of the exhaust, plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor were put on new right before the headgasket let go. Do I need plugs again? Would messing with the dist timing help?
  Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10/21/11, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
ByPopularDemand

oh yeah o2 sensors are new. Also feel free to pm me if you know someone willing to pass an obd1 car for me
Old 10/21/11, 02:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Buy/Sell Feedback: 0
HP: 6791/321922 [?]
Garage
Looks like you're idling too low, add some idle air, that will lean it out and bring the idle up.
Old 10/21/11, 02:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
ByPopularDemand

Ok. How would I go about that on a 93 sc300? This one doesnt have a screw to up the idle rpm's...at least not that I see. Does it look different.
Old 10/21/11, 02:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
2nd Gear

Buy/Sell Feedback: 2
HP: 10000/661839 [?]
Xbox LIVE: 118th
I have always changed the oil right before testing an obd1 car and it has helped a lot. And make sure car is warm

1999 Acura Integra GSR turboed
2000 Nassau blue FRC Corvette
99integraGSR is online   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page
Old 10/21/11, 02:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
ByPopularDemand

car was warm...an early oil change wouldnt hurt but the hc being high is raw fuel that wasnt burnt. Also from what the tests are saying the HC got higher along with the rpms
Old 10/21/11, 02:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

HP: 308/11697 [?]
Garage
you could adjust the throttle cable incorrectly in order to bring the idle up. That might get you there but leaning it out will make HC worse. You could also try backing a few deg. of timing out (retard) of it that can help a high HC reading, but it is probably worth checking the plugs. Also does it have a good cat? I assume so, but I have also seen hollow ones that would pass by the skin of there teeth with the timing pulled and running a lot of alky. fwiw.
system6 is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page
Old 10/21/11, 02:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
ByPopularDemand

I cant see why it would pass for the chick I bought it from(she showed me the slip) in february and fail now. so less timing? What I dont understand is how a higher idle will help with it failing worse at higher rpms
Old 10/21/11, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage
also from a quick search, it seems to be a little bit common that the TPS not being adjusted correctly can contribute to being in the wrong part of the fueling map making it a little rich and adding ~15* of advance on the timing. This would def. explain high HC.
Old 10/21/11, 02:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage
Originally Posted by ByPopularDemand View Post
I cant see why it would pass for the chick I bought it from(she showed me the slip) in february and fail now. so less timing? What I dont understand is how a higher idle will help with it failing worse at higher rpms
maybe I misunderstood your original post but I thought you were passing high speed and failing low speed?
Old 10/21/11, 02:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
NOW WITH AWD :D

Buy/Sell Feedback: 1
HP: 4004/186445 [?]
Garage
Xbox LIVE: 117th
Originally Posted by system6 View Post
maybe I misunderstood your original post but I thought you were passing high speed and failing low speed?
Thats what i get out of the OP
Old 10/21/11, 02:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
IT'S SO FLUFFY!!!

Buy/Sell Feedback: 3
HP: 10000/773453 [?]
Garage
dumb question..... but is your air filter clean? I would retard timing too... I used to mess with all that shit back in the day... but i had a SAFC on my hondas... I few buttons and ran nice and lean!!

04 Turbo Cavalier LS Sport (Sold)
06 Acura Rsx-S (Sold)
10 Cobalt SS TC
10 Racefab drift trike w/go cart rears
SLRdohc is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page
Old 10/21/11, 03:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
ByPopularDemand

barely passing high speed at 7 points under at 2574 rpms...passed high speed by 23 points at 2397 rpm
Old 10/21/11, 03:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
ByPopularDemand

Originally Posted by SLRdohc View Post
dumb question..... but is your air filter clean? I would retard timing too... I used to mess with all that shit back in the day... but i had a SAFC on my hondas... I few buttons and ran nice and lean!!
yeah air filter is good
Old 10/21/11, 03:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
ByPopularDemand

also from a quick search, it seems to be a little bit common that the TPS not being adjusted correctly can contribute to being in the wrong part of the fueling map making it a little rich and adding ~15* of advance on the timing. This would def. explain high HC.
The tps is connected by 2 scews I can see how id be able to adjust it, but the car passed before and when it went under the knife I never removed the tps, so id assume the tps was in the right spot before?

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TrueStreetCars.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Username:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Enter a password for your account. Passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Re-enter Password:
Email Address
Enter your email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

2012 TrueStreetCars.com | Questions | Contact Us | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy