*Project* Ares: 1995 BMW 540i/6spd - Page 2 - TrueStreetCars.com
Forgot?
Create Account >> Home Forums Pictures Vendors Garage Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03/22/16, 07:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
mph

Buy/Sell Feedback: 1
HP: 3226/148676 [?]
Garage
Nice. Did these come with a 6 speed from the factory in 95? I think the grill looks good.
mph is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03/22/16, 08:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Mykk (OP)

Buy/Sell Feedback: 0
HP: 1469/65999 [?]
Originally Posted by mph View Post
Nice. Did these come with a 6 speed from the factory in 95? I think the grill looks good.
Thank you. Yes they did, the Getrag420g trans
Mykk is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page
Old 03/25/16, 01:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Mykk (OP)

Long term project, long after the car is back together and driving. Once the MAFT-Pro is dialed in and the Bosch Motronic is running on Speed Density with wideband AFR tracking.

Picked up an N62 BMW V8 DIVA variable length runner intake manifold. With a few mods it'll bolt down to my existing V8. I would then need to make my own motor controller, I'm thinking a frequency to analog voltage converter tied into either a fuel injector or a ignition coil coupled to an electronic/fly-by-wire throttlebody controller so that the runner length is adjusted with RPM.

After the controller is functional I would them mount the intake backwards on the engine, use a 3.5" aluminum U-bend to mount my 80mm universal throttlebody located above the intake manifold and then use my old carburetor scoop modified for the throttlebody.

Old 04/14/16, 05:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Mykk (OP)

The intake manifold idea is being put on the back burner. Perhaps picked up again once the engine is back in.

The lightweight flywheel arrived, still awaiting the stageII kevlar clutch

Old 04/21/16, 07:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
Mykk (OP)

Installed flywheel and clutch: The clutch kit was suppose to be sprung hub, a solid hub arrived. After waiting on hold with the parts supplier for over an hour I gave up and just installed it as is. A bit concerned to see how the car reacts to the lightweight flywheel and unsprung kevlar full face clutch disc, it will take some driving adjustments for sure....it might even be the push I need to get rid of the 2.91:1 rear gears for a 3.6x:1 and then also keep looking to shave weight on the car...ya know, to reduce the off the line shaking as the clutch grabs.

Weighed the OE flywheel & hardware. If i were smart I would have grabbed the weight with the new clutch disc & PP on the new flywheel vs the old...I'm not that smart.

Old Flywheel:

vs the 17.37lb of the new one.

I am also anticipating the gearbox lash rattle/clatter at idle in neutral with the clutch out. Which is primarily what the sprung hub is supposed to reduce. The solid drivetrain combined with the fact I increased valve overlap with cam timing making for a "less smooth" idle I'm hoping the gearbox doesn't make all kinds of embarrassingly loud clatter...at least nothing audible over the loud exhaust.

I'll be using UUC MotorWerks suggested blend of Redline 75W140NS and D4 ATF to reduce rattle:

transmission fluids recommended to stop gearbox rattle

Old 04/21/16, 10:10 AM   #21 (permalink)
Life begins at 135mph..

HP: 10000/621579 [?]
Garage
Be prepared for some rattle with that clutch.
*edit.. nvm - you already mentioned rattle (reading > me)

Last edited by MCoupe on 04/21/16 at 11:06 AM
MCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page
Old 04/22/16, 03:43 PM   #22 (permalink)
Mykk (OP)

Trans back on, Headers modded and torqued down. Gotta pull the coolant crossover and pipe to run that battery cable.

Old 04/28/16, 08:40 PM   #23 (permalink)
Mykk (OP)

Hey, someone put a stripped and gutted shell of a car in my driveway. Oh wait, I did.

My plan was to change the control arms and steering linkage. While the struts were out of the car I wanted also to remove a coil from each spring.

However I couldn't get the strut to spindle nuts or the control arm bolts to break loose with my breaker bar in the driveway. I plan to try again before this weekend after several days of a penetrating oil soak on all of the hardware before giving in and waiting until I get to the shop and use air tools.

But the new steering linkage is on and awaiting the arrival of the replacement steering gearbox.

Just need to flare and bend a few brake lines. Finish painting the engine compartment and then start to drop the drivetrain back into it's home. It's not going to be perfect, but it'll be good enough for a daily driver.
Old 05/01/16, 03:01 PM   #24 (permalink)
Mykk (OP)

The weather took a break long enough for me to finish my brake lines project. Bypassing the ABS module and installing a manual brake proportioning valve.

Just as I finished the rain started coming down again.

Old 05/06/16, 08:22 PM   #25 (permalink)
Mykk (OP)

I ended up running with a 525i steering gearbox, which is a slightly different design then the v8 version. I opt'd for this due to cost and availability, the v8 version of the gearbox is tough to come by. The 6cyl steering gear fit beautifully in the frame, the OE pitman arm and steering coupler also fit great.

This steering gear box feels great, way easy to turn, smooth with no gear lash or slop. It's so much easier to turn then the original. For that I want to do what's necessary to run it.

Started setting the drivetrain back in place.

It's going to need some work for a header pipe to clear a banjo fitting on the steering gear. I also ended up needing to move the drivetrain forward roughly 1.5" to get to this point

With the relocated drivetrain the headers fit the body & firewall much better as well as the increased room behind the engine makes it much easier to work on. I still need to see if the driveshaft can/will telescope to compensate for the relocated trans tailshaft and I would also need to lengthen shifter linkage. But, the transmission crossmember fits fine utilizing previously unused threaded holes in the body.
Old 06/10/16, 08:15 AM   #26 (permalink)
Mykk (OP)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKb1a19mmYA
Old 06/10/16, 09:15 AM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

HP: 6598/301381 [?]
Damn this car is turning out badass, skilled work!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HattoriHanzo is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page
Old 06/17/16, 01:43 PM   #28 (permalink)
HAW-HIGH ALTITUDE WHIPS

HP: 494/20312 [?]
Garage
Xbox LIVE: 145th
mmmmm i remember them days soild work man .. will pay off once yourdone hard work #respect

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!!!! HAW CAR CLUB @

60ft 1.55

1/4 - still waiting

THATBEEM is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TrueStreetCars.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Username:
Password
Enter a password for your account. Passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Re-enter Password:
Email Address
Enter your email address.
Email Address:
Spam Account Filter
Enter only the capital letters from these words: LET it EaT aT tX2K12
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. | Questions | Contact Us | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy