*Project* Ares: 1995 BMW 540i/6spd - TrueStreetCars.com
Forgot?
Create Account >> Home Forums Pictures Vendors Garage Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03/08/16, 04:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mykk (OP)

Buy/Sell Feedback: 0
HP: 1472/65999 [?]
Ares: 1995 BMW 540i/6spd

Hey guys, this is my current project/daily driver. A 1995 BMW E34 540i/6speed manual. Found on craigslists non-running. My first experience with BMW's and admittedly a gamble not knowing what was wrong or why it would crank but not fire.

Made a deal and towed it back home, roughly 90 miles away.

I saw that someone put a water pump on it, but was missing the fan & clutch. Also the fan started digging into the fins of the radiator. I'm beginning to get a clearer picture of what happened. Since the harmonic dampener needs to get removed to put a water pump on this engine, and the dampener has he reluctor teeth for the crank sensor I saw that someone installed the dampener clocked incorrectly thus the engine timing and fuel was way out in no mans land.

Realigned the dampener and it fired right up. But sounded like hell, exhaust leaks, water leaks, oil leaks, valve train clatter and a slight miss at idle.

I pulled the intake; replaced the injectors, replaced plugs & coils. Dropped the oil pan and found loose oil pump bolts in the pan. Torqued the oil pump hardware and set chain tension. Painted the intake. Found missing exhaust collector hardware, installed new hardware. Replaced the radiator and added electric fans.

After a few more appearance mods I took it on it's first test drive....over the nearest mountain.

The test drive revealed a pair of broke engine mounts. Engine and trans mounts replaced with a set of RevShift Poly 95A mounts.

The v8 was really asking for a loud exhaust, so I pieced one together. Dual 2.25", H-pipe, Magnaflow glasspacks as resonators into a Flowmaster Super 10. Dumped before the differential.

I had an old junk BMW come into the shop, purchased by the shop for repair and resale. It had with a set of 16" chrome wheels so I swapped them over. The 18" M wheels that came with the car will need a ton of love (rechrome or powder coat) before they can be run.

Also decided to do something really different, made my own grill for the car. Most people don't like it, but I do..and that's what matters.

Sounds of the exhaust:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mem9F4RPufk

For the computer system I am running an Ostrich 2.0 chip emulator into the OE Bosch Motronic 3.3.1, the emulator is loaded with a performance tune.

I have also been working with a piggyback MAFT-Pro in order to get away from the MAF sensor and go over to a Speed Density type set up that also uses wideband AFR tracking for fuel adjustments. This is still a work in progress.

Currently as of this afternoon: After over a year of daily driving the clutch started to slip, ever since I got the car it always grabbed high. So I decided to pull the drive train. Do away with the dual mass flywheel in favor of a lightweight aluminum piece and use a 6 puck sprung disc. I am debating installing headers now too.

I will also degree in the cams and get away from OE specs, barely.

Originally the M60 cams are 246/242 adv duration, 108 lobe center, 109 ICL. Since aftermarket cams cost more the car is worth I decided to play with timing a bit. I'll advance the intake cams 2 degrees and tighten the LSA to 106 degrees.

For being such a small displacement 4.0L, that sure is a large engine assembly. But it's also a lot of fun to drive.

Mykk is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03/08/16, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

HP: 2783/128566 [?]
Sweet build man!
Old 03/08/16, 05:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

HP: 6601/301381 [?]
Badass restoration, what happened to the m5 wheels? Not feeling the grill but do what you like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HattoriHanzo is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page

Old 03/08/16, 06:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mykk (OP)

Originally Posted by HattoriHanzo View Post
Badass restoration, what happened to the m5 wheels? Not feeling the grill but do what you like.
Thank you. The chrome is extremely pitted. I plan on doing a sand blast & powder coat some day. But for now they are a coffee table in my living room.

Old 03/08/16, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hi my name is

Buy/Sell Feedback: 2
HP: 10000/1734152 [?]
Garage
Xbox LIVE: 11th
Cool car
AngelSpeedFreak is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page
Old 03/09/16, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Life begins at 135mph..

HP: 10000/621579 [?]
Garage
Looking good.
MCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page
Old 03/09/16, 04:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ya'll better wreckonize.

HP: 2938/126532 [?]
Garage
Xbox LIVE: 47th
Sweet car.

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
turbokillsemall is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page
Old 03/11/16, 04:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mykk (OP)

21 years of fluid leaks, heat cycles, road grime and weather have not been kind to this engine bay. Currently degreasing, stripping, prepping and painting:

Old 03/13/16, 07:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Mykk (OP)

Decided to start timing the cams:

Mounted a degree wheel to the crank pulley, using a pushrod from my old small block chevy in the spark plug hole and a dial indicator to find true TDC of that cylinder.

Spun the engine over a couple times, modifying my TDC mark location and then moved the dial indicator over to an intake lifter, spun engine and noted where cam timing events landed. Did the same for exhaust.

I knew that cam timing event's are measured at .1mm / .004" lift. For some reason I then read and marked the event's at .002" lift. But it was enough to see that cam timing was pretty close to OE, actually even a couple degrees retard.

I found on my engine:
(@.002" lift)
IVO: 13° BTDC
IVC: 56° ABDC
EVO: 52° BBDC
EVC: 13° ATDC
for a 111°ICL / 110°LSA

Pretty close to what online sources say are OE cam timing event's of:
(@.004" lift)
IVO: 14° BTDC
IVC: 52° ABDC
EVO: 48° BBDC
EVC: 14° ATDC
for a 109°ICL / 108°LSA

My plan is to dial in cam timing of:
(@.004" lift)
IVO: 17° BTDC
IVC: 49° ABDC
EVO: 47° BBDC
EVC: 15° ATDC
for a 106°ICL / 106°LSA

From my digging, calcs and even dyno sims the difference isn't drastic. Only a couple more ft-lb of torque and a couple more peak HP. But since the engine is out and it's a free mod...Why not.
Old 03/14/16, 10:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
HAW-HIGH ALTITUDE WHIPS

HP: 496/20312 [?]
Garage
Xbox LIVE: 146th
Beemer Bro's!!!!!!!! Wellcom to the V8 club brotha A1 job good ish
THATBEEM is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page
Old 03/14/16, 10:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

HP: 702/31360 [?]
Garage
Sweet project! Nice to see something different.
74chevy1ton is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page
Old 03/14/16, 01:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mykk (OP)

Thanks guys, appreciate the positive feedback.

More stuffs. EBay header fail:

Old 03/15/16, 07:30 AM   #13 (permalink)
Bavarian Murder Weapon

Buy/Sell Feedback: 1
HP: 10000/1318558 [?]
Garage
The guy in Korea that made those must have been blind.
Nice project!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does an oil change. It's a pity the ECU is so damn temperamental."
zinister is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page
Old 03/22/16, 08:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
Mykk (OP)

I decided to make the headers work, here's DEI titanium heat wrap on the stainless headers.

Old 03/22/16, 12:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
It's just me

Buy/Sell Feedback: 4
HP: 10000/1702345 [?]
Very cool
autotoystore is offline   Reply With Quote Jump To Quick Reply Jump To Top Of Page

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TrueStreetCars.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Username:
Password
Enter a password for your account. Passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Re-enter Password:
Email Address
Enter your email address.
Email Address:
Spam Account Filter
Enter only the capital letters from these words: LET it EaT aT tX2K12
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. | Questions | Contact Us | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy